Thursday, 25 October 2012

Some people really don't like hunting

I've realised over the past couple of weeks that I'm becoming a grumpy bastard. Too busy. Not enough sleep. And too many idiots who can't see past their nose making bold statements, full of emotion, and the collective intelligence of a north Queensland Cane Toad. I really need a few days in the middle of nowhere with a rifle slung over my shoulder; some quiet time. After this post I'll stop bitching and moaning and go hunting instead!

Hunting is a very personal thing and I totally appreciate that it is not an activity which everyone wants to participate in. I wouldn't encourage non-hunters to grab a rifle and go bush, however if they show an interest, I would help them with their hunting and let them come to their own conclusion. I have great respect for anyone who has made the decision not to be a consumer of animal products, whether it is meat, leather or anything derived from animals. While I don't agree with this ideal, I think it is a very noble commitment to have made and respect their decision.

As you may have noticed, I am very passionate about and enjoy every aspect of my hunting. I am not wasteful, I am not cruel and I am very respectful of the game I hunt. Everyone is most welcome to share their thoughts on this blog - I respect everyone's opinion. I only ask that you respect my decision to hunt and the traditions and culture that have led me to live this lifestyle.

Thought I'd share some of the input I've had from a couple of very passionate people who really don't like hunters much.  They don't like hunting at all. Click the "read more" button below to see what some people really think...

schillig92352
You should be ashamed of yourself. I hope one day someone hunts you like you did that poor animal so you can see what it feels like.
April 20, 2012, 6:37 pm

schillig92352
I hope they arrest your ass and lock you up for that ivory.
April 20, 2012, 6:39 pm

schillig92352
To kill for food is one thing. To kill for fun is just plain sick.
April 20, 2012, 6:38 pm

skyeb88
Hunting animals is wrong.. They have just as much of a right to be on this planet than we do. they feel pain equally. Why can't humans find other means to keep them "entertained".
26 September 2012 21:54

And then there are the hunters who will happily go out for a week and tally shoot as many animals as possible, but they are against trophy hunting. One fellow had some great input in response to these posts, a real gem which I'm sure I'll find use for down the track:

"You need to engage your brain before your fingers."

And here's the feedback from some of our "fellow hunters" - clearly the education is all wrong when other shooters and hunters don't get it!

Plinking Mad
Yeh that creature must have been a real pest your the MAN
Posted 28 Sep 2012 - 08:48 PM

Brad338
Bet it was man eater killing villagers and devouring feilds lucky to escape ? well done toss pot
Posted 28 Sep 2012 - 10:05 PM

ahtheweekendsere
If there is no difference between hunting a rabbit or a giraffe, does that make hunting whale or dolphins cool as well?
Posted 29 Sep 2012 - 10:04 AM

Gregt
Sorry, I just don't understand the motivation to fly across the world, paying to be taken out by guides to a big old native animal and shoot it dead. To me it's kind of like taking your paycheck to a brothel then bragging about getting a root.
Posted 29 Sep 2012 - 12:03 AM

topside
shame on you !
Posted 05 Oct 2012 - 09:49 PM

topside
I'm 37 years old and have hunted since the age of 14 and have shot literally 100s of pigs over the years while living and working in the bush. I have no problem with hunting feral animals of any sort..... but a giraffe . Pretty piss week in my opinion. But what ever floats your boat mate.
Posted 05 Oct 2012 - 10:34 PM

Mychael
I disagree with the "heritage/Culture/tradition" argument as to roughly quote someone I listened to on talk back radio said " if you use those things as an argument to support your activity then you must also support cannablism, slavery, arranged marriges, female circumcision/mutilation etc, as all those things could be claimed by someone/some culture/somewhere as heritage/culture/tradition".

I dispute the rational of maintaining a skill , why does the greater population not think that way or conversly if that argument holds true we should all still be learning horticulture, animal husbandry, building and mechanincal skills.

Lastly I never have and never will understand the need of some for Trophy hunting. As mentioned I aknowledge the skill of the tracking but where is it something to boast about that a modern man with modern and very high powered and sophisticated firearm is able to kill an unknowing and by comparison defencless animal.

Likewise I do not understand the desire for shooters to pose for photos with their kill, should every target shooter as equally stand up and pose with their high score target and silly grin on their face, their achievment is equally valid and most likely as hard fought for. Just curious.

Posted 16 Oct 2012 - 7:02 PM

Guess you can't be everything to everyone, so I explain it to them, but I can't understand it for them.

When my little girl asks when I'm gonna' take her elephant hunting, I smile, happy that the most important people in the world see what I do for what it is without psychoanalysing my motivation - "...when your fifteen princess..." I told my oldest tonight, "...we'll have to do a lot of walking, but when you're fifteen I think you'll be able to walk with daddy while we're elephant hunting..."  My eldest daughter is four.

"Hunting is ever a love affair. The hunter is in love with the game, real hunters are true animal lovers. The person who can take delight in a sweet tune without wanting to learn it, in a beautiful woman without wanting to possess her, or in a magnificent head of game without wanting to shoot it, has not got a human heart."
Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen), Shadows on the Grass (1985)

4 comments:

1. Hold fast, brother. Everyone has an opinion, just as everyone has an anal orifice... and often the two share many qualities.

The Internet has provided us with a great source of information and communication. Unfortunately, it has also provided a safe place for people to "say" things that they'd never dare to say to your face.

Drive-by commenters who never even bother to return for a response, or who have no interest in an actual discussion are barely worth the pixels they waste on the screen. For my own part, I'm always willing to engage the naysayers and namecallers if they're willing to step up and support their arguments. Sometimes that turns into a solid conversation, even when neither side is turned. And sometimes it becomes a waste of energy. Fortunately, as the blog owner, you have the power to make them go away.

ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just dumbfounded when I read some of these comments; at how aggressive and violent they can be when I'm supposedly the Neanderthal murderer.

Thanks for visiting Phillip, you're welcome anytime.

Dagga

ReplyDelete
  3. I want to post my story "confessions of a serial killer" to support you and as an answer to these "enlightened" people.

ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shooter,

Thanks for dropping in. I read "Confessions of a serial killer" a while ago and it is a very familiar scene for my wife and I. Are you happy for me to reblog your post here to share this story with a few other readers?

Really enjoyed "Mystery of the missing holes" last month and looking forward to your next chronicle whether it be about the shikar's of old or one of your own, much newer chapters at Shikarcamp

ReplyDelete